Friday, January 18, 2008

Aussie Kick

I recently found myself on an Australian Shepherd (Aussie) kick. Not sure where that came from, maybe it's because I got a copy of the most recent issue of the Aussie Times in the mail last week. I had to become a member of the Australian Shepherd Club of America (ASCA) when I applied for Gel's tracking number (so that titles earned in ASCA shows can be kept track of) so I guess getting the Aussie Times is part of the membership. I'm surprised that such a dense publication is available for only a $10 membership fee.

I really like Aussies and if it were not for a bad run in with an Aussie breeder in Indiana several years ago, I'd likely have Aussies now. One of my best friends is Sheryl of Daybreak Aussies and it would be so nice to be able to work with such a like-minded individual, but, alas, it is not meant to be. Given my experience with Border Collies, it would be hard to find an Aussie that I would be happy with. So many good working Aussie lines have been watered down by show lines that a lot of the work instinct is gone.

It is fun sharing e-mails about lines and litters available with Sheryl and a few other people I'm friendly with who have Aussies. It is much easier to research Aussie lines than it is Border Collie lines. Who knows, maybe one day an Aussie will join my crew.